Chronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and Neighbourhood from A.D. 46 to 1884. William Finch-Crisp
Чтение книги онлайн.

Читать онлайн книгу Chronological Retrospect of the History of Yarmouth and Neighbourhood from A.D. 46 to 1884 - William Finch-Crisp страница 15

СКАЧАТЬ 28th. Four merchant heretics entered St. Nicholas’ Church, and created a great disturbance during the service.

      Nov. 2nd. A merchant and shoemaker were fined 2s. each for bargaining and selling a last of white herring in the Church.

      Sir Humphrey Wingfield returned to Parliament, held at Westminster.

      Ordered that Aldermen should wear scarlet gowns, with fur tippets and straight hose, at assemblies and festivals.

       Table of Contents

      Height of town wall, 23 feet. On war being declared the following year with France, a large rampire was thrown up on the eastern side, and afterwards extended along the north and south walls. (See 1396.)

      Sir H. Wingfield again returned to Parliament.

       Table of Contents

      At Corporate meetings no member allowed to depart without leave of the Bailiffs; otherwise was fined for disorderly conduct. Members of the Corporation compelled to wear scarlet gowns and straight hose, under penalty of fines.

       Table of Contents

      Two French ships and 120 prisoners taken by the town.

      A house for country butchers built.

       Table of Contents

      The sixth Haven made. It was agreed that the money, plate, ornaments, robes, vestments, tunicles, albs, ameffes, belonging to St. Nicholas’ Church, should be disposed of, together with the bells in the steeple and other property in the Church, and the proceeds (£1,816 9s. 7d.) devoted to its construction. The Haven was then commenced, 100 men being employed daily upon it.

      A rebellion in the town. Kett’s adherents advanced and destroyed all the materials for the Haven, and laid it in ruins; and the work of the Harbour was stopped till the following year. The next attempt also proved as unsuccessful. Another report says—The Norfolk rebellion, under Kett, the tanner, commenced; but their designs were frustrated by Yarmouth men, who, setting fire to a stack of hay on the west side of the Haven, were able to attack the enemy unseen, and defeated them, many insurgents being killed, 80 taken prisoners, and six pieces of ordnance secured. They were afterwards defeated by the Earl of Warwick at head-quarters in Norwich, and lost some 4,500 men; their leaders, William and Robert Kett, being suspended alive in chains on a gibbet.

       Table of Contents

      Another great Plague. (See 1349.)

      The Castle used as a Borough Gaol. During subsequent periods of alarm, it was again repaired. The upper part of it was taken down in 1620, and the following year the whole fabric was ordered to be dismantled and demolished.

       Table of Contents

      Many of the brasses enclosing the inscriptions on the walls of St. Nicholas’ Church sent to London to be cast into weights and measures for the town’s use.

      John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.

       Table of Contents

      A Grammar and Free School in existence in Yarmouth, the “Parson of Haddiscoe” being appointed for a quarter of a year on trial. He was succeeded the same year by an “expert man;” and it was agreed that each of the four-and-twenties (Aldermen) should pay towards his living 18d., and each of the eight-and-forties (Common Councilmen) 8d. a-year over the stipends, upon the well-doing of the schoolmaster. From 1551 till 1757, twenty-eight gentlemen were appointed to the Mastership. In 1757 the school appears to have been closed, for we find the master quitting possession and resigning his office; and on Feb. 5th, 1773, the chamberlains were directed to do necessary repairs, and to let the school to Mr. Richard Eaton, the younger, for £4 a-year. The school was re-established in 1863.

       Table of Contents

      Sir W. Wodehouse, Knt., and N. Frymage, Esq., returned to Parliament. Every inhabitant found smoking tobacco or overcome with drink in any tippling-house was apprehended.

       Table of Contents

      Oct. 1st. Robert Eyre and Simon More were chosen Burgesses of the Parliament.

      Drawbridge erected to connect Southtown with Great Yarmouth, in place of the one built in 1427, but which was carried away in 1570 by the tide.

      Beer sold at 3s. 4d. per thirty-two gallons.

      This year and two following, six Aldermen were returned to Parliament.

       Table of Contents

      Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, High Steward of the Borough.

      Fifty vessels wrecked off Yarmouth within 24 hours.

      A fire beacon placed on the top of the Castle, as the Haven was very dangerous.

       Table of Contents

      No brewer allowed to brew in the town unless by the appointment of the Bailiffs.

      Another attempt to form a Haven, a ship being sunk at the mouth to stem the tide. But this project was abandoned the following year, and it was stopped up with furze bundles in 1557.

      The Hermitage on the west side of the Haven given to the town.

СКАЧАТЬ